BACK TO BASICS:
A LOW - TECH PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP in the CANADIAN ROCKIES
Workshop Dates: August 11-18, 2019
Location: Galena Mountain Guides Backcountry Mountaineering Camp, Mons Icefield
In partnership with Galena Mountain Guides, this photography workshop focusses on low tech analog photography as a means to capture the sublime beauty of the Canadian Rockies. Over the course of a week, participants will be guided through a series of workshops including pinhole photography, toy cameras, photograms, black and white film processing, Cyanotypes and Anthotypes. Interspersed between workshops will be daily hikes into the landscape to photograph, one-on-one participant instruction and critiques, studio time, and informal information sessions on the alpine ecosystem, flora and fauna. The basecamp of the workshop is Galena Mountain Guides’ beautiful summer Backcountry Mountaineering Camp situated in the Mons Icefield region along the Great Divide. No prior photography experience necessary.
Cost: $2000 CAN + 5% GST tax per person
Group size 8-10 participants.
· Instruction in photographic processes and information about the alpine environment.
· Photographic materials: 2 rolls of Black and White film, 10 sheets of 4”x5” film, B&W photo chemistry for film processing, Cyanotype chemistry, Anthotype supplies, 12 sheets of 11”x15” Strathmore water colour paper.
· Equipment: Access to 4”x5” pinhole cameras, Holga Cameras, developing tanks/trays. and basic contact frames.
· Shuttle to/from helicopter staging area.
· Helicopter flights in/out.
· All food and cooking.
· Tent accommodation with mattress.
· Hot shower.
· Communal tents.
What’s NOT included:
· Extra photographic materials.
· Transport to and from the Golden.
· Accommodation in Golden.
· Sleeping bags, hiking equipment and gear for outdoor travel.
· Trip Cancellation Insurance.
· Medical/Evacuation Insurance.
Registration and Additional Information:
For an application form and detailed course outline please email email@example.com
Deadline for registration is June 21, 2019. A 40% deposit ($800 + GST) is due upon registration. The balance for the remainder ($1200 + GST) is due July 10th, 2019.
This course is dependent on a minimum of 8 participants.
Sarah Fuller is a Canadian artist and ACMG Apprentice Hiking Guide who has been instructing and facilitating photography workshops since 2005. For eleven years she was the Photography Facilitator in the Visual Arts department at the Banff Centre and is currently a sessional instructor at the University of Manitoba, where she specialized in teaching both analog and digital photography.
Sarah holds a MFA from the University of Ottawa and a BFA from Emily Carr University. Her work is in public and private collections including the Canada Council for the Arts Art Bank (Ottawa), the Alberta Foundation for the Arts (Edmonton), and the Walter Phillips Gallery (Banff). She has completed residencies at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, Fondazione Antonio Ratti (Italy) and the Association of Visual Artists (SIM) in Reykjavik, Iceland. Her most recent exhibition Refugio was presented at the University of Lethbridge Art Gallery.